When I was clueless and trying to figure out how to make ends meet, Tightwad Gazette kicked my creativity in gear and helped gave me a light in the darkness. Because of this I have always appreciated author Amy Dacyczyn's forthrightness.

However, after the minor celebrity she received, she shut down her newsletter and Amy D decided to move away from the spotlight, raising her family instead and continue living her tightwad life and became less open to scrutiny.

A few years ago I did write to her to thank her and did get a response with an update but, she made it clear to me that she enjoyed her private life and didn't want any further publicity.

Recently, it would appear, people are looking for Amy D. and her advice. Maine PBS ran an interview with Amy to give us all an update on our favorite "frugal zealot" in Tips From A Tightwad.

I like the following comment Amy said in this article about the new frugal paths that many people are making and I wondered if it will last as well. Amy said, "You know, at the time people were saying to me that I was the leader of the great movement. And I said, I don't think so. I still go to Wal-Mart, and the mall, and I see what people are buying."

Personally, I think the movement will always exist but I don't believe it will take on the life that existed in the 1930's and 1940's due to the unemployment of the depression and the rationing of the 2nd world war.

However, it is always good to hear updated news on someone who inspires you and I thought I would pull out some of the other Amy D. resources that inspire me.

Another recent article came out in March that was in the Michigan Business Review with a slightly different angle on her opinion with the header. The reviews stated that, "'Tightwad Gazette' author drove frugality in the 1990s but now Amy Dacyczyn worries about massive U.S. debt"


Here are still some older articles and interviews that I think are goodies:

In 2008 the Simple Dollar blog interviewed Amy D. that you can read and also makes me wish I had heard the whole interview.

Also in 2008, Raye Tibbitts, local Maine resident, also picked up the phone and called for an interview and to thank Amy D. for the frugal inspiration.

Back in 1997 Amy Dacyczyn was interviewed by the NPR team "for a discussion of the joys of a frugal life and offers listeners advice on how to live cheaply."

And article written in 1990 by Amy Dacyczyn for the In Context website titled: They Call Me The Frugal Zealot

Now you have the background to this inspiring woman we call Amy D. and a little update so you don't have to wonder "Whatever happened to Amy Dacyczyn and the Tightwad Gazette?"


****If you like what you are reading here you can subscribe to my site via news reader or email for regular updates.

4 Comments

  1. Ruby Leigh // Sunday, March 07, 2010 1:42:00 PM  

    Do you know where I could hear the NPR bit on Amy D. I can't seem to get the location at the link to work. I have a feeling it's too old to be available.

  2. Dawn // Sunday, March 07, 2010 8:08:00 PM  

    @Ruby Leigh
    It appears the Main Public Broadcasting Network (mpbn.net) that has the link to the "tips from a tightwad" is also down - I presume once they get their server working the link should also kick in as well.

    Sorry for the trouble - I don't believe NPR has it in their database but the link to the 1997 interview they did with Amy D does appear to be working fine

  3. Michael Crosby // Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:13:00 PM  

    Don't know if you'll even get this, being so long ago that you posted.

    I was struck by something you wrote--"not take on a life that existed in the 30s...."

    What I take from that is--frugality really is a lifestyle, not a fad. Very interesting for me, thanks.

  4. Anonymous // Friday, January 07, 2011 8:04:00 PM  

    I enjoyed reading the interviews with Amy - I really wish she was still actively writing! I miss her, and her quirky sense of humour and good sense. All of the frugal writing available today is really based on Amy's work - thanks for making those links available.