This is a guest post from reader T.J
TJ Campie is a 23 year old recent college grad who's desire for low cost shaving turned him to the art of wetshaving

********
When I suggested there be a blog post on wetshaving, I had no idea it’d actually be me writing it. Of course, I had to accept the offer, because if I don’t do it, who will? I became interested in wetshaving last year while trying to figure out how to get a good shave with no irritation, a problem that had plagued me for some time and made shaving a real chore. I ran across some videos on YouTube by Mantic59. His videos on traditional wetshaving spawned an interest in me right away. Whether it was the brush and soap or the single blade razors, I do not know but something about the routine seemed to just make sense. His videos promised a closer, more comfortable shave, even while avoiding the horrendous markup on new razor cartridges, making the switch not only physically more enjoyable but easier on my wallet too!

At the time, I was in college so I didn’t have much time or money to put into the wetshaving practice at the time so I went out and got a new Fusion and some “goo” in a can and did that for a while. I had forgotten about wetshaving until I started my new job in a new town and had some time to stop by an antique store. This is where I found my first safety razor: a 1965 Gillette Super Speed. I later found that the Super Speed was one of the “standards” of wetshavers everywhere and a good starting place. The razor cost me all of $12! So far so good. I needed some blades though, and you may be surprised to know that double edged razor blades can still be found relatively easily in most groceries or drug stores. So I stopped by my local grocer and picked up a pack of blades for a whopping $2. These blades would last me 30 shaves, or about a month, much longer than any cartridge set would and only 1/10th of the price! (You know, they up charge cartridge refills up to 4,000% of the actual cost of manufacture!)

The next important part of wetshaving is the “wet” part. Canned shaving cream is full of non-natural things and contains propellants and things that will surely dry your face out, something that is very counter productive to shaving. Luckily Wal-Mart sells a nice wetshaving set that includes shave soap and a brush for about $8 so I was ready to begin my wetshaving experience with only $22 invested. Not bad when you consider I would be able to shave for a couple months only having to buy a $2 pack of blades once a month.


The whole technique of shaving is very different than with cartridges so there’s some learning curve, but once you master the nuances, you’ll be getting closer, more comfortable shaves, at a cost way below that of cartridges.

I would be remiss if I did not warn you though, once you get into wet shaving, it becomes very easy to go crazy and acquire one of the dreaded Acquisition Diseases! The problem of wanting more razors/soaps/creams/brushes can quickly outweigh the cost savings benefits of wet-shaving! For many wet-shavers, it becomes more of a hobby than a task; collecting razors, brushes, trying new blades or soaps, aftershaves and the list goes on. As long as you can control these urges and remember why you started wet-shaving in the first place, you’ll be on your way to saving hundreds every year, and enjoying your daily shave more than ever.

Before you get started, make sure you check out the Mantic59 videos on YouTube and visit the forums at BadgerAndBlade.com, the online safe haven for wetshavers worldwide.

Good Luck and prepare to enjoy your shave!

9 Comments

  1. SmoovD // Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:41:00 PM  

    Well done.

    Wetshaving is, first and foremost, a superior alternative to the current cartridge systems. Not only does traditional shaving provide a more comfortable shave, it also can be quite cost effective.

    If you are tired of shaving as a chore do yourself a favor and check out wetshaving.

  2. Anonymous // Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:13:00 PM  

    Great Article. I just finished my first 6 months of wetshaving. My total blade expenditure, for one who shaves six days per week, was $3, or to put it another way 75% the cost of just one Fusion cartridge.

    Now for the greatest part, I get better, closer shaves with none of the neck irritation that the Fusion constantly left me with!

  3. Anonymous // Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:11:00 PM  

    For me the double edge gives double the pleasure.
    When I finish shaving I rinse the shaver and blade and the dry the shaver...holds down on mineral bildup etc...
    Then I take the blade and "sharpen"
    it by carefully placing my fingers in the middle and keeping the blade wet moving it back and forth across the sink bowl...plastic sinks won't work.
    Then turn it over and repeat.
    A glass drinking glass with water will work.
    I expect a heavy,smooth,flat piece of metal would work very good with a little vegetable oil.
    My blades last a long time but as I have never kept track. Can not tell you how long.

  4. Chadd // Friday, February 05, 2010 7:12:00 AM  

    Great article...just watch out for R.A.D. - Razor Acquisition Disorder. It starts with the 65 Superspeed, then you are going to want a Tech, then a Fatboy, and on and on ;)

    I started wetshaving 8 years ago, and since then have started quite a collection of antique razors, blades from around the world (piece of advice, get a sampler pack from Amazon or WestCoastShaving), shaving potions, creams, and lotions.

    You are on a great start, friend!

  5. Alex McNair // Friday, February 05, 2010 12:23:00 PM  

    I just went and got all the ingredients for wet shaving - the WalMart kit, some blades and a $10 safety razor from a local antique store. I'm ashamed to say how excited I am about ditching the disposable razors I have lived with, and cursed, for all these years.

  6. Safety Razor // Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:30:00 AM  

    Good fella you will definitely be saving with a safety razor.

  7. Anonymous // Sunday, February 07, 2010 9:14:00 AM  

    Well I to but I dream the post should prepare more info then it has.

  8. Kevin // Monday, February 08, 2010 9:49:00 AM  

    I have moved to this style of shaving for several years now. I wish I could say how long it has been but I honestly forget how long ago I got my razor. I like it because it reduces the amount of plastic garbage I am throwing out. And, it's not any harder than normal shaving -- just different.

    The blades are cheaper. I throw out less garbage. And I enjoy shaving with it. I can't complain. It was a good move for me.

  9. Perfect Shave // Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:19:00 PM  

    Great article! I must agree with the author that shaving with safety razors can save money, plus it also means less waste and is good for our environment. Thanks for sharing.