Hilary Hinton “Zig” Ziglar is an American author, salesperson, and motivational speaker. Ziglar was born in Coffee County, Alabama as the tenth of twelve children.

Ziglar became a salesman and worked for several different sales companies. During this time his sales skills grew as did his wish to become a motivational speaker. Ziglar still travels, takes part in motivational seminars.

Motivation is a Daily Task

People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.

The motivation to be frugal isn't a once in a while need, it is needed daily to remind us why I am changing my habits and bettering myself. We here negativity all day from news to co-workers to advertising and it is rare to be around uplifting, inspirational thoughts and ideas and that is why we need to bathe ourselves in it.

It Takes a Big Person to Change

Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds."

I already know that the way things are going isn't going to do it for me, I need to change, I need to think beyond my current surroundings and think bigger to become better. I need to use the imagination that I was born with to be flexible and adjust to my surroundings

Utilize What You Already Have

It’s not what you’ve got; it’s what you use that makes a difference.”

I am a horrible cook, I can practice and get better but where I excel is with numbers, organizing a budget and cleaning the house - I take what I do well and bring that to the table while my partner is a better cook than I. If I was single I would work on what I lacked to get better starting with that I know I can do semi-well, baking and breakfast.

You can Choose to be Positive or Negative

Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.”

There is a guy at work who really doesn't seem to like his job, but everyday he says to himself out loud and to those around him, "I love this job! And you love your job, right?" Whether he really means it each time doesn't matter, because it puts a smile on our faces and our thoughts going about why we do like our job, even if it simply for having a paycheck.

Life is One Big Teaching Moment

"Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street."

If it weren't for WD-40 failing 39 times we would never have the wonderful product that ranks up there with duct tape, baking soda and vinegar. Failed attempts at frugal ideas doesn't mean the idea is bad, it may simply mean it needs to be attacked in a different way.

We are Fighting an Ingrained Trait

"People don't buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons."

When I feel guilty about having promised myself I won't do this or that for a certain amount of time and I don't follow through, I have to realize that I am swimming upstream in some cases and fighting with myself. But that is a good, it builds a stronger me as I jump back up and go at it again.

Some other quotes I liked:
"You cannot climb the ladder of success dressed in the costume of failure."
"Money won't make you happy... but everybody wants to find out for themselves."

5 Comments

  1. Lillie // Monday, March 08, 2010 8:16:00 AM  

    This is my motivational speech for the day. I loved the comment that "You cannot climb the ladder of success dressed in the costume of failure." This is awesome and I plan to share it during a meeting later this evening. Thanks for making my day.

  2. Dawn // Monday, March 08, 2010 8:39:00 AM  

    @Lillie
    It definitely give you a picture with that motivation and that always helps me. Have fun in your meeting!

  3. Franklin // Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:13:00 AM  

    I love Zig Ziglar. He is a great speaker and an inspiration to many. Glad you posted this. It does the soul good to get a dose of Ziglar every now and then.

  4. I am the working poor. // Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:04:00 PM  

    Thanks for the motivation. I really really really needed it today. :)

  5. Dawn // Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:23:00 PM  

    @franklin
    I find that when I run across Zigler quotes they seem to fit for me just right!

    @I am the working poor
    Glad to hear! :D