I’m trying to wean myself off of soda pop completely. After seeing some of the following information below, it has an added incentive for me to stop drinking soda and to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet. There are some definite frugal advantages to reducing the soda intake:

  1. The added health benefits that will last longer than the money burning a hole in my pocket as I stand in front of the vending machine
  2. The added money that will stay in my pocket as I choose free or almost free alternatives such as water, tea or other sugar-free drinks.
flickr/cc - woody1778a

A single can of soda a day can add up to 15 pounds a year
An extra can of soda a day can pile on 15 pounds (7 kg) in a single year, and the evidence strongly suggests that this sort of increased consumption is a key reason that more people have gained weight, the researchers say.

The average American downs almost 48 gallons of soft drinks a year, according to 'Beverage Digest', a publication that tracks industry trends. This makes soda the largest single source of calories in our diet, says the 'Center for Science in the Public Interest', and such sugary beverages increase our risk for diabetes and heart disease.

Cavities in a can
People who drink 3 or more sugary sodas daily have 62% more dental decay, fillings and tooth loss! The average American drinks more than 53 gallons of carbonated soft drinks each year, more than any other beverage, including milk, beer, coffee or water.

Removing Soda Summary:
1. I can reduce weight and risk of diabetes and heart disease
2. I am reducing the need for fillings and problems with my teeth
3. I am saving money on my health cost and keeping money in my wallet

11 Comments

  1. Grammar Parrot // Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:39:00 AM  

    We broke that horrible habit years ago. I now drink mostly water, sometimes tea. If the idea of plain water gags you, you can get crystalized lemon, made by True Lemon. I find it my store next to the artificial sweeteners, but there is no sweetener in it--just lemon. They also make True Lime and True Orange. I keep a bottle in my desk at work and it lasts forever. http://www.truelemon.com/ Their website has coupons, too.

  2. Dawn C. // Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:48:00 AM  

    Thank you for the info and the link

  3. Jeremy Burlingame // Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:58:00 PM  

    Not to be a J-A but at one point you say we drink 48 gallons the next paragraph says 53 gallons.

  4. Dawn // Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:22:00 PM  

    @Jeremy
    Yup, two different articles have a variation of 5 gallons.

    Frankly, even 5 gallons a year (32- 20 ounce bottles) is probably more than a person should have in a year. But then I bet some people would give a "you're crazy" look if you asked them to drink only that much.

  5. Little Miss Lists // Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:04:00 PM  

    I'm trying to work on this right now too. I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper. Not only is it unhealthy but between what I buy at the vending machine and what I pick up at the grocery, it really adds up!

  6. Anonymous // Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:09:00 PM  

    I'm all for making changes if you feel that you will enjoy life more. But I know several people who have quit soda for various reasons, and they are pretty miserable around anybody who drinks a soda.

    My wife and I choose not to drink alcohol, but only because we don't enjoy drinking. She also stopped with the soda. Now I feel guilty whenever I'm having soda and she's drinking water.

  7. Dawn // Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:27:00 PM  

    @Finance4youth
    You feel guilty because you believe you should stop drinking as well? Or because you are being a temptation to her?

  8. James Schipper // Friday, July 16, 2010 4:40:00 PM  

    I rarely drink sodas anymore after practically being raised on it. I feel infinitely better, lost weight pretty quickly, and find it tough to figure out how addicted to it I was before. It's nasty when you don't drink it all the time, then have one.

  9. Chris the Yardsale Queen // Saturday, July 17, 2010 8:32:00 PM  

    I guess then that I am an above average US citizen. I love me my diet pepsi and diet coke. But I rarely stand in front of a vending machine (and if I do, its just because I see someone left a coin in the coin return spot. I drink the 2-liters in massive quantities.

  10. Hammy // Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:07:00 AM  

    I'm astounded that the average American drinks approximately four litres of soft drink per WEEK! W're lucky to have two litres between a family of three per month. Not only does it put holes in your teeth but it also puts holes in your wallet.

  11. Jerry // Friday, October 08, 2010 3:04:00 PM  

    We gave up soda about 5 years ago and it leads to some serious shedding of weight. Not only is it insurance for your health you can save a lot of money by not drinking the stuff, as you've seen yourself.