04/07/2004 at 15:58:44
I care about the pursuit of money more than I care about whether or not people live or die.

08/09/2005 at 10:33:16
Whenever I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my kids and I, I always put way more jelly on my sandwich than on theirs.

06/24/2004 at 10:58:57
I always wanted a Ferrari, It was a life goal. I finally got one… It is everything I ever dreamed it would be, and more. Now all I can think about is getting another one. 2 Ferrari’s are better than one right? I can’t stop!

03/02/2004 at 20:31:35
I want money and lots of it so I can do what I want and have what I want. It’s MINE.

01/04/2006 at 11:58:14
I want. It’s all I ever think about. I want a new car, jacuzzi, house on the beach. Everything is about me, me, me and I hate myself for it but that doesn’t change my feelings. I have been gambling to try and get all of that. I took my year end bonus and lost $23,000 of the $40,000 I received. I can’t tell my fiance. I can’t tell anyone. As bad as I feel right now I still feel like taking more money and trying to win it back. Trying to get even. Back to even.

01/03/2006 at 01:33:22
I have a good life. I always get everything I want. But I want more, much more. I want the whole world at my feet.


A few days ago I was walking through a local store as I made my way to the one item I needed and came in for. Walking all the way back I went through a process of what I call “impulse buying decision making”. I would see an item I thought was cool, then I would say to myself that I want that (thereby what I think is cool, makes me cool), the next step would be to rationalize a reason for why the item is a necessity to my life. Not a want, but a necessity. Such as- The other one is getting old, I always disliked the color, I was PLANNING on buying one someday, why not now.

I can lay a little responsibility on advertising and the FINE job it does. But when I comes down to the core of it, it is my internal desire to want more. To believe that the stuff I buy will make me happy. Everyone wants to be happy as often and as long as possible. Wanting and desiring more in life isn’t itself a bad idea, but the greed that I feel is. The desire that buying the cool item will make myself cool, thus one-up against the other guy.

“The economic engine of our nation, and indeed the world, depends on a consistent sense of discontent that motivates each consumer to desire ever more.”

Wealth in money, possessions, popularity brings such short term satisfaction. It hides the real purpose of life. Yet, I still continue in hunger, wanting to quench it I look for more. When I was a teenager I took for myself an anthem, “I want it all” by Queen. My parents and I joked about it, but maybe it was more sad than funny now that I look back on it. Sad, because it was an aspiration that would never see it’s final end.

In the movie “Wall Street” Gordon Gecko said, “Greed is good. Greed is right. Greed works.” I may want to raise my fist in agreement with that, but deep down I know that greed hurts. It hurts me more than anyone else.

One man succeeds in everything, and so loses all. Another meets with nothing but crosses and disappointments, and thereby gains more than all the worlds is worth.
~William Law


Quotes via Rumors of Another World and Notproud.com

3 Comments

  1. Relishing Life // Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:40:00 PM  

    Wow! I agree with this post more than I would like to admit. Thanks for broaching this topic.

  2. Anonymous // Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:32:00 PM  

    Great post!
    --Stacey

  3. Lynn // Friday, February 13, 2009 3:18:00 AM  

    Greed is part of the reason we've entered into a recession. These days it just doesn't seem to be enough to appreciate and want the little things in life...it's always..more, more and more.

    I don't want "more." I just want enough to be able to live happily and for me that really isn't a lot. A bigger house would mean more cleaning. A newer car would mean more taxes..Yes, the more you make the more you spend. American motto.