Though it is not 100% assured that I will be healthy my whole life; eating healthy is one way I can assist myself and stay out of the doctors office. I have seen those expensive hospital bills and they aren't pretty. And if I didn’t have insurance, it would be even more important that I eat healthy and save myself a trip to the hospital. Lately, I have been getting myself more on a Mediterranean type of eating, more fruits, vegetables, nuts and fish.

Sometimes when I go into the grocery store and see the large display of Oreo cookies that are 4 for $6 or smell the just baked donuts, it is hard to get myself in the right mindset to eat healthy. There is one handy healthful planning grocers have done and that putting fruits and vegetables near the door. Getting the fruits and vegetables first is kind of like paying yourself first, you grab them right away and are ready move on the rest of your shopping without diversion (hopefully).

Grocery stores make it easy to shop for all the food you like to eat year-round, however when the item is in season it is usually cheaper. In Colorado, where I live, I can't go shopping at the farmer's market for the freshest, cheaper produce year-round and have to rely on keeping track of the seasonal months for vegetables and fruits while I am shopping the stores fall through spring.


However, when the farmer's markets opens in my area I like to go to a couple different ones, as one place may not sell out as early or have more, smaller growers that have a little more variety.

There are a few sites that can assist you in locating farmer’s markets in your area or places where you can “pick your own”. You may even want to check for locally grown poultry/eggs and meat that you can buy direct from the farmer, with some farmers you can buy 1/4 or 1/2 a cow if you don't eat that much meat.

Here are a couple sites I have found useful:
PickYourOwn.org
Local Harvest

3 Comments

  1. Kama // Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:55:00 PM  

    I just started going to farmer's markets for produce and I love the savings and freshness!
    100% FREE Samples and Freebies

  2. Jerry // Friday, March 20, 2009 7:48:00 AM  

    There's a growing community and demand for this type of living. It's come as a response to the overwhelming health issues we have in the US. We pay the most in health care and health insurance, yet for an industrialized country we're some of the most unhealthy in the world. Something's gotta give. People demanding something more and different will lead to the change we need.
    Jerry
    www.leads4insurance.com

  3. Dawn // Friday, March 20, 2009 9:50:00 AM  

    @kama
    Sometimes the savings isn't there, but I figure it is going to a local business and hasn't traveled the world to get to me.

    @Jerry
    I agree, I also think our eating habits have had a bad influence on our health