Have you ever read The Consumerist's posts on the incredible grocery shrink ray? They are logging the downsizing of grocery products across the US. I have one to add to their list:



I recently bought two cartons of ice cream at my local King Soopers - one a German Chocolate cake and the other a chocolate Moose tracks carton. However when I took them out of the freezer I noticed that the German chocolate one was .25 pints larger than the Moose Tracks carton. I remembered the shrink ray posts and figured one was newer than the other. This is true, however, the one that is newer is not in the way you might think..... the smaller one is the older one and the bigger carton is the newer one!


Click for larger view

Now I have two questions to determine this mystery:

1. Is Private Selection reversing their shrink ray based on consumer outcry?
2. Are the German Chocolate cake ice cream lovers worthy of more ice cream than the Moose Track ice cream lovers?

No matter the answers, the task of taking a look at the fine print can both be educational in the value you can receive and humorous, as in "what the heck are they thinking".

6 Comments

  1. Relishing Life // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:15:00 AM  

    Or is it that the ingredients for the German Chocolate Cake ice cream less expensive and the company is trying to give the consumers as much value for their money without cutting into their profits?

  2. Anonymous // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 1:01:00 PM  

    Or is a cosmic hint to send some to your friends?
    --Stacey

  3. Unknown // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 1:26:00 PM  

    Who knows, but I do loves me some Moose Tracks. Seriously, if this is a new trend, I'm happy.

  4. Dawn // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:14:00 PM  

    @Katherine
    That is a really possibility. Moose tracks has lil' peanut butter cups and caramel, where as the other one ONLY has cake.

    @Stacey
    Ummmm... no frackin' way. But I will send a coupon if I come across one [wink]

    @Wilstanton
    So you are liking the new trend of smaller or the possibility of larger sizes again?

  5. Unknown // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:11:00 PM  

    @~Dawn C:

    I'm talking about more ice cream. I know I should be for smaller ice cream containers, since that leads to smaller ice cream eaters, but as I said, I loves me some Moose Tracks. I'm glad the containers are getting back to normal (larger).

  6. Anonymous // Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:14:00 PM  

    this looks delicious and very healthy. this post kinda makes me hungry. :)

    thanks for sharing. great blog by the way.

    myke