I read through the money section of yahoo answers and there are people asking for ideas to make money. Usually the best way to make money is to turn something you enjoy doing and find a way to make money off of it.

For instance, if you enjoy reading books see if you can be paid to read books to seniors or children (sometimes volunteering gets you in the door for a paid job), find places online that will pay you for book reviews or contact publishers directly to read, review and publish your own blog with book reviews.

Some people find joy is filling out surveys and making some extra cash for the month to put away for gifts, entertainment and bills. I tried my hand at making money with comic books but that didn't work out so well. However, if you have an eye for it and the knowledge you could turn any collectible into money by shopping smart at thrift stores and garage sales.

However, when I see questions like the above I like to toss out a site I ran across a few years ago (no affiliation): Unusual Ways To Make Money- I just find the site a way to get my own brain to stir up ideas that might work for me. But sometimes I just like to read through some of the unusual ways people make money, true stories or not.

Hunting Diamonds In Parking Lots
The temperature changes your jewelry experiences getting in and out of cars and buildings cause diamonds to come loose from their settings. This makes parking lots one of the most common places that diamonds are lost. One older couple I read about become so good at telling the difference (from a distance!) between the sparkle of a diamond and bits of glass that they regularly take early morning walks in mall parking lots for a second income.

Selling Stuffed Animals
At a campfire in the desert last winter, my wife and I met a man who sells stuffed animals on the side of the highway. When we saw him again, in his van full of stuffed animals, I pressed him for details. He buys used stuffed animals at thrift stores in bulk and then sells them alongside the highway.

A former co-worker had a part-time job selling home-made walking sticks and canes made from wood. He would take long walks in the woods and find the best, thickest sticks and turn them into one of a kind canes and walking sticks that he sold for a hundred dollars each. To him it was fun and a nice side business.

Overall, quick money is hard to make unless it is illegal or you already have the product on hand, such as selling your personal goods at a yard sale or online. But making money can be possible, with a desire for what you want to work on and a good dash of patience.

3 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Friday, June 19, 2009 10:02:00 PM  

    One way, I make money is by receiving free magazines in the mail ,and reselling them to a used bookstore .

  2. Dawn // Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:19:00 AM  

    That's an interesting idea. Get the subscriptions to magazines for free and then drop them off at the bookstore?

  3. Anonymous // Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:39:00 PM  

    No, I sell the magazines to a used bookstore.