At the end of every month I like to look back at ways I stayed frugal, ideas I came across to use for later and quotes I found that interested or challenged me. I keep a 140 word journal of the day to day over at my twitter account. Nothing helps you feel like you are progress quite like taking a look back at your footsteps.

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙

Quotes to get started:
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength." ~Corrie Ten Boom

"It's not your salary that makes you rich, it's your spending habits"
~ Charles Jaffe


After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”
~ Cree Indian Prophecy



In my desire to buy more local and handmade items, along with thrift finds, to be more consumer conscious and not a consumer zombie, I have found that some items I can buy through the local option of Etsy.com - Some great ideas for gifts that are unique and they have wonderful homemade soaps

Frugal For Life Tips -
# Use your your shredded paper for shipping - fill up plastic grocery bags to cut down on the mess
# Be for you print off the web, do a print preview. Many times, the last page is blank and you can stop the print be for that page and save yourself paper and time.
# BBQ Grease Buildup: Wet rag with vegetable oil. Wipe the greasy area and it will come right off, then clean as usual.
#Leftover pancake batter makes good fried onion rings.Let soak in batter for fifteen minutes. Fry in hot oil
# The Cheapest funnel - cut the top off soda bottles and flip them over for use in your car, kitchen or in the children's sandbox.
# Don't want to fix broken furniture - take it apart and salvage all the good wood, hinges, and knobs for future projects
# Cut out the magnets at the bottom of (some) shower curtains before you throw them away, and use on the refrigerator
# Don't toss the pill bottle cotton - Use the cotton from pill bottles to clean small electronics like remotes - cotton and vinegar work great
# Juice Concentrate Lids - used for drink coasters, quickie ashtrays for smokers and Furniture leg coasters
# Carpet remnant uses - Lay on under the car,Scraps catch car leaks,Cut down on noise,Exercise Mat,Shoe insert
# When out of oil and need to grease a skillet- Rub it with a cut open potato.
#Soften Wind-chimes: stuff a cotton ball into each end of each metal cylinder. The result will be a muted, much softer sound
# Use your bathroom mirror as a dry erase board - much better than a shower wall, I've tried and have the grout to clean up



- Sold off a bicycle on Craigslist because I thought I was going to bike to work but found that I was just didn't have time and biking in the dark and cold really did scare me off.

- Gave away a bunch of camping equipment (tent, cookware, chairs, etc) on Freecycle to a young family that are teaching their kids the about the experience. In return, I got an offer for a free weekend at an RV park; now I just need the RV.

- Recently got caught up watching the 5 episodes of Outer Limits (1963) online. I don't watch much tv, so when I'm in the mood I like sit down with something entertaining

- Did you know: Almost 85% of ID theft cases are due to "offline" transactions such as lost checkbooks and stolen bills - so make sure you shred and shred some more.

- Have you heard about the Fee-Free Weekends in Your National Parks this summer:
* July 18-19, 2009
* August 15-16, 2009

- Have you ever wondered why some coins have ridges while others don't? - Link

- Easy step-by-step guide on how 2 fold a fitted sheet - via Target archives


A Question I have for you:
♦ How do you sway someone towards rechargeable for batteries when their experiences are with them are from 15-20 years ago when did last as long?

2 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Monday, July 06, 2009 7:58:00 PM  

    Buy them a set with a charger for their birthday. Typically $12 and then they have no money compunction hurdles to their re-evalutation of old assumptions.

  2. Dawn // Monday, July 06, 2009 8:34:00 PM  

    Thanks Anon-
    I believe I will give that a try, if they don't like them, I will take them back and they don't have to feel bad.