Every time I leave to go to work and when I come home from work I always check to see if the dumpster at our apartment complex has any treasures. A few days ago a treasure did show up in the form of a cedar blanket chest.

I love nice wood furniture and this is another wonderful gift from the residents of my apartment complex. In previous finds I have picked up a wood/bamboo side table, an oval table and 4 chairs, a coffee table a couple of dressers (one sold and one fixed up)and now this cedar chest.

Some items are cleaned up, cosmetically fixed and resold and other take a place among the craigslist items and other dumpster finds. This cedar chest is sticking around for awhile because I've always wanted one but they were much to expensive to purchase.

I'm still trying to find out information on this cedar chest as the maker of it doesn't seem to exist any longer. The last known information for Piedmont Red Cedar Chest Co. out of Statesville,NC. is from the 1920's. Update: Local city commerce department has no knowledge of them.

There are a couple of reasons to find out about this cedar chest:
1. History/age of chest
2. To get parts replaced

This chest needs a new lock and I want to get it replaced, because there is something about having a chest with a lock that is broken that is incomplete, even if I did get it free.

I did some research online and it appears that Lane furniture may have bought the company so I called them to see if they had any parts - I am waiting for a call back as the agent could not find my chest listed with only the digits #6701 on the bottom and nothing that stated a serial number and she had not heard of Piedmont Red Cedar Chest Co.

Until the part is found, the chest has been sanded a bit and old English polish was used on it to maintain a more raw look to it. I may have damaged it but I still like the look- I picked it up for it's usefulness and not for it's resale value.

The bottom picture is the before with all the scratches and the two top pictures are the after effect of some sanding and polish put to it.

3 Comments

  1. Kristin @ klingtocash // Friday, August 14, 2009 2:33:00 PM  

    Great find!

  2. iris Robin // Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:50:00 AM  

    Dawn, you really seem to know what you're doing with this stuff. I'd love to hear about more things you find on your dumpster finding adventures.

    Heck, you could even have just a blog dedicated to that!

  3. Dawn // Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:08:00 AM  

    @Kristin
    These kind of finds are always so cool.

    @Iris R.
    I'm a lazy searcher, I don't seek out dumpsters which is the nice part of living in a complex with 300+ apartments and two trash bins.

    Thanks for stopping by