This last weekend I visited some friends and we got to talking about how we buy gifts for the Christmas season.

We have two different view on this:
She is more of a yard sale queen who picks up items that she believes will be useful to the person she is buying for. If you collect anything then that is what she will look for, for you.

I am the type that likes to get more specific ideas and hunt for them, whether they be new or recycled. I don't like to buy the same thing every year, unless I am specifically told that they would appreciate it again.

Because of my style of Christmas shopping, I cozy up to friends and family and try to catch keywords that will clue me in on something they want. Those keywords would be, "I wish I had a.." or "I could really use.." or "I can never find time to...". It is these comments that I perk up to and then I know that this is an item that may not be high on their own TO BUY list but one that would be appreciated once they get it.

Of course I still send out my notice of a gift list requirement to some people and I ALWAYS have a backup plan for those people of whom you don't have any ideas for.

Once I have my ideas for people, I start buying it up and of course I make sure I clue others into what I am buying in case anyone else picked up on the ideas, they know I have already secured the present.

The idea of even buying Christmas presents this time of year can be unappealing but when I think about it, I love the feeling of knowing ALL my shopping is done by Halloween or Thanksgiving at the latest!

5 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:05:00 AM  

    I do the yard sale thing and am now working on birthday and Christmas gifts for 2010. I am amazed at the brand new articles I can pick up for pennies. I often try theme gifts; for example I just bought a large popcorn bowl with 4 individual serving bowls plus matching salt and pepper shakers for $2 - brand new, still in the box. I will add different types of popcorn to this or maybe different homemade popcorn seasonings. I have also found unopened Lego boxes, perfumes, clothes with the sales tag still on, and many toys in excellent condition. For those who have everything I give a charitable donation in their name.

  2. Anonymous // Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:40:00 AM  

    My children are grown now and generally want things that are way beyond my budget, so now I fill a Christmas stocking for each of them with small gifts I purchase all year long - very inexpensively - and 1 gift to put under the tree, usually a shirt or something they collect that I picked up at a yard sale like your friend does. For my 2 granddaughters, I give them a stocking, and a nice Christmas ornament that I usually buy at the Lenox outlet store for under $10 after the previous Christmas. It's amazing how many interesting little things you can find during the year. My family - even my parents who live with me - always get excited to see what neat things they will find in the stockings.

  3. Dawn // Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:15:00 AM  

    @Anon-1
    That is a good option, charitable donations for those who have it all.

    @Anon-2
    I have to agree with your children, I also like to get the useful little extras from when my Mom goes yard saling.

  4. Deals Hunt // Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:06:00 AM  

    Good Post!! i prefer online shopping for all Christmas items gift. because saving on these item also fit in budget.

  5. David@DINKS Finance // Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:01:00 AM  

    "The idea of even buying Christmas presents this time of year can be unappealing but when I think about it, I love the feeling of knowing ALL my shopping is done by Halloween or Thanksgiving at the latest!"

    Yes! That is always a great feeling. I tend to wait, just because the people I buy for tend to change their minds when it comes towards December. But I can def. see the benefit in finishing early.