Even though I rent an apartment I like to take care of things around it if I can to save myself time in waiting for them to come over, but primarily so I don't become a total slug having others wait on me. Because of this I have found a few easy fixes that I can do and also save some money.

Stove  -
• check to make sure there are no cracks around the gasket
• make sure the seal is secure by trying to slide a dollar bill out from the edge
• Save myself money by keeping the most heat inside the oven
• clean metal grease filter that is above my stove

Refrigerator -
• clean the coils either behind the kick-plate or at the rear of the fridge
• look for and change or clean water filter system
• check to make sure there are no cracks around the gasket, use vaseline around gasket to keep it soft
• make sure the seal is secure by trying to slide a dollar bill out from the edge


Sink Area -
• check dishwasher for rusty tines, get a tine repair kit if necessary
• deodorizer and sharpen garbage disposal with a mixture of ice cubes and vinegar; tossing in some orange peels for a better smell
• check for leaking faucets and replace o-ring, gasket, etc
• stained dishwashers can be cleaned up with a package of lemon/lime koolaid run through the rinse cycle

Laundry Area -
• pull the exhaust off the back of the dryer and pull out large clumps and vacuum the rest
• check washer hoses for cracks


Around the House -
• check seals around doors and windows for leaks to reduce cold air drafts
• clean clogs in drains of tub and sinks
• change furnace filter
• clean the registers around the house, check closed ones
• tighten any loose door knobs and hinges
• WD-40 squeaking door and garage hinges


Then when I'm done I stop, take a look around, in each room I check and make sure there isn't anything else that can be checked, cleaned or fixed. Then I'm done.

4 Comments

  1. kare anderson // Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:09:00 PM  

    This is so practical!

    Savvy realtors should be helping homeowner (not "just" buyers and sellers) during this bad economy by jumping into helpful (not hardsell) social media offer such tips - crediting "authors" such as you with a link to your site

  2. Anonymous // Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:54:00 PM  

    What happens if you cant DIY,,,both hubby and I are inept
    IS hiring a handiman frugal and where do you find a good one cheap?

  3. Anonymous // Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:27:00 PM  

    These are fantastic tips. I am moving into a new rental in 8 days and will definitely look for these things and maybe talk to the landlord about it.

    Thanks!!

  4. Dawn // Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:13:00 PM  

    @Dara
    If you notice anything a miss write it down and then make sure they sign it so you aren't charged for it when you move out and you have a list to work from so they can fix it.