This is a post I wrote about 3 years ago and recently found again and I thought it was still relevant today. I still pick up pennies on the ground and check vending machines and even recently found 85¢ in a coin counting machine, and every time I find coins I make sure to check them over for any more valuable then face value. I still think it is worth keeping an eagle eye out for a decent coin.

You never know what you will find. I collect old coins and when I come across some good old ones, I check them out to see if they might be worth selling.

Last summer I came across a penny from 1909 among some other old ones around the same year, I picked up each and everyone of them (27 total). I checked out the price online for them all and found that the 1909 penny would go for about $35. I thought I would get a decent deal as I figured that was based on a mint penny from that year, I was hoping for a tenth of that: $3.50

After posting it to eBay, imagine my surprise… I guess I looked at the wrong price guide. Time to check your coin jar!

Do you have any good coin finds to share?

*********

>> The Festival of Frugality #221:Spiderman edition is going on over at Canadian Finance and has hosted a thorough batch of frugal-related links that anyone will find enjoyable.

>> Recently I was hearing some odd sounds coming from the Saturn and I didn't want to just take it but maybe it was something I could fix on my own - So I search out a few Saturn forums with no help but in the process I came across Just Answer.com where knowledgeable people in their field answer questions.

I got hooked up with a 15 year Saturn Mechanic who was able to determine the issue with my car by me going out and kicking the muffler - I had a muffler strap that had broken and needs replacing - I believe I saved myself around $100 asking a question and getting an answer from someone who knows for $9.

>> I enjoyed reading this article by PFAdvice - Does Frugality Equal Detachment? - Sometimes I wonder if frugality comes easy to me because I can turn on my anti-social behaviour and hide out in the house and could care less what is on tv. I wonder if it is harder to be frugal for someone who is more of a social butterfly?

5 Comments

  1. The Biz of Life // Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:41:00 PM  

    Kinda like finding one of the 7 original copies of the Declaration of Independence behind the frame of a old painting bought at a garage sale........ well, not really, but congratulations on the find. Wish I had a similar story. All the coins I find seem to only be worth face value.

  2. Anonymous // Friday, March 19, 2010 12:12:00 AM  

    i genuinely adore all your posting choice, very useful.
    don't give up and also keep penning considering the fact that it simply worth to look through it,
    looking forward to browse more of your own articles, have a good one!

  3. ParisGirl111 // Friday, March 19, 2010 7:36:00 AM  

    How do you find the value of the coin once you have a coin? And what specific qualities are you looking for in the coins? Is there a certain year you look for?

    Great story!

  4. Jill // Friday, March 19, 2010 9:36:00 AM  

    Thanks for the tips! I've been throwing my change in a jar for years but never bothered to check the coins. Seems like it would be worth it for me to give them a gander before I deposit the money or use it for the occassional candy bar.

  5. Dawn // Friday, March 19, 2010 10:33:00 AM  

    @The Biz of Life
    It's kinda like that, but not as thrilling. LOL - Notice that this was a penny from 3 years ago... no luck since then.

    @ParisGirl111
    Most of the time I check two places for values- the closed auctions on Ebay and I google year and type of coin to get general ideas.

    As for grading, I don't - I let the market determine if it is worth something - I don't look for a specific quality of coin.

    My searchs are usually pennies older than 1925 - nickels 1942-1945 and dimes/quarters before 1965.

    More on this in another post coming up. Stay tooned! ;D

    @Jill
    A quick look doesn't hurt, you might even find a silver dime (value about 1.10) or something even better.