From my cereal box to any wallet. That's where these Frugal For Life business cards of mine are coming from and where they are going to end up.

I've always wanted my own business cards but I don't have a great number of places to give them out and I really don't want 250 of them. I found this step by step picture process that I used to make my own.

1. I picked a business card style from my options on the computer and designed it to suit me.

2. Any size cardboard cereal box will do, though you may have to cut it to size to fit in your printer for length and width or use a regular piece of paper as a template. I had this Apple Cinnamon Cheerios box that worked well.

3. I ran a test print on scrap paper to get an idea of how it would look since I had never printed out business cards before.

4. Initially I just laid the cardboard in the printer and found that didn't work very well. I had to take it out and roll it up a bit to curl around my printer's wheel. A slight push may be all that is needed to get it to move through, without curling.
5. The cardboard uncurled just fine and I found that it wasn't a factor after I cut out the business cards.

6. I measured and cut along the lines for my first 10 homemade cardboard business cards made from a cereal box. And I'm quite happy!
 In addition: I'm glad I used a brighter blue than I was going to go with as it stands out more on the cardboard brown. In the future make sure to use bright colors against the brown background. Also, since this site is about frugality, business cards on a cardboard box fits in. However, if I sold Rolls Royce cars.. not so much.

5 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Monday, July 19, 2010 11:18:00 AM  

    Neat idea! If you want to hide the cereal printing on the back, you can glue your business cards to those free fridge magnets we all get.

  2. Dawn // Monday, July 19, 2010 1:19:00 PM  

    @Anon
    Ahh yes! Thank you for the reminder.

  3. Anonymous // Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:07:00 AM  

    Great idea. Sadly, my cereal comes in bag form. Just looking through my pantry, very little comes in boxes. Makes me wonder if my wife is afraid I'll hurt myself on a corner.

  4. Hammy // Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:50:00 AM  

    I see that you go for the brand name cereal, Dawn. Most unexpected. I thought that you'd be buying in bulk and having it safely stowed in a storage container. Or did you partake in dumpster diving to grab somebody else's unwanted cereal box?

  5. Dawn // Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:27:00 AM  

    @Hammy
    Sometimes, the coupons and sales just beat out the generic brand. :D