flickr/cc - Sir Stig
Some people have a want that can seem like an 'all consuming' need; they won't fight the urge and will let it get out of control. I was reading through some posts and found the following story by withoutmusic to be inspirational. It's a great example of thinking before you buy....
Since, I first saw an iPod two years ago, I decided I wanted one, I figured I could earn one in two years if I put about .37 cents away, a day for two years I would earn 270, (which is how much my Ipod cost, student discount). And most of this .37 didn't come from me, I would always check in vending machines, to see if people forgot change (they ALWAYS do). 

I would mange to find about 2.80 every week in change at laundry-mats, school, parking lots, vending machines, pay-phones, counters, cans i saw laying around, and extra change I got from cashiers. I made at point, that I would get this iPod for free by collecting change, and it worked I am now a proud owner of a 30gb color video ipod, all from collected change. (and some times dollar bills!)
An Ipod isn't the only thing you can do this with, you can do it with ANY luxury/want item. Start small (under 500) and break it up into small chunks of savings.

Think about this, beyond the 7 little hacks I wrote previously,  if you save 1¢ a day for a year you have $3.65, 10¢ a day = 36.50, 25¢ a day = $91.25,  $1 a day = $365.00 and so on. All possible ways to save for something fun.

4 Comments

  1. I am the working poor. // Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:40:00 PM  

    Another bright side to this story is how much the price of electronics drops. I almost never buy an electronic gismo when they first come out. In two years they will cost half the price.

  2. Pat // Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:27:00 PM  

    I love the concept! A few pennies a day seems like a very small commitment. Reaching a goal like that has to be huge in one's life!

  3. Anonymous // Friday, October 15, 2010 10:06:00 AM  

    I find many coins in the college parking permit machines, especially in bad weather. Everyone grabs their permit and runs!

    Gina

  4. Jill // Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:55:00 PM  

    The thing I love most about this post is something I like to call reducing things to the ridiculous. If you break things down to the smallest amount, it makes it seem more achievable. Be careful though, many sales companies do the same thing. I love this post for reminding me that I can make every cent count.