I was walking into the store recently and a guy was dumping into one of the coin counter vending machines, a plastic bin full of rolled quarters, nickles, dimes and pennies. As I was walking by, he asked me if I wanted to buy some from him, I declined. I suggested that the bank might want to take them, but he declined saying he didn't want to wait for them to open up.

I happened to be behind him when he turned in his slip to get his money. What did he get? 342.00. Since that machine takes 9¢ to every dollar, he lost over 30.00 dollars due to his impatience for the bank to open. Money that he could have had for food, bills or gas.

We complain because companies nickel and dime us to death, but don't search out our own finances to find hidden expenses that are causing us to come up short. If you feel like your belt is tightened to what you can stand, you may be surprised at how much more you can handle and it may do some good.

Have you looked inside your home?
> Written down every penny you spend?
> Removed luxuries? (cable tv to locals only, Phone extras)
> Stopped eating out? Taken your lunch to work?
> Found ways to make what you have last longer or reuse in other ways?
> Removed excess junk food from your life?
> Taken to drinking more water?
> Sold everything that you can part with?
> Moved the thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter?
> Turned off lights in the house?
> Unplugged items that are using electricity?
> Used coupons? (remember nickels and dimes)

Have you looked outside your home?
* Gone to thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets?
*Bartered for a lower price?
*Found rebates to the items you do buy?
*Worked on your discipline to say "NO!" to buying unnecessary things?
*Checked around to see if the item can be borrowed?
*Searched curbside and dumpsters for thrown away items you can use?

What other areas could look inside and outside your home to nickel and dime yourself?



3 Comments

  1. FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com // Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:35:00 PM  

    I have done every single one of those things.

    And I want to do more.

    Next off my list is chemical cleaners. For enviro reasons, more than cost. :)

    Fabulously Broke in the City

    "Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."

  2. Anonymous // Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:54:00 PM  

    I crochet a lot. I have found that I can buy good yarn at the good will store. It cost me $5.00 a bag ($2.50) on half price day. That same yarn would have cost me at least $50.00 at wal-mart.

  3. Dawn // Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:57:00 AM  

    Fab~
    You rock!

    Anon~
    I noticed that recently at a local thrift store as well, much less in price