I look at these economic times and I get frustrated, frustrated that I didn't do enough in the good times to prepare for these days, frustrated that my creativity is limited or so it seems at times. But then those feelings do fade as the days pass by and sometimes, they fade with a song

Recently I was listening to the words of the song "Book of Days" by Enya. The song was used for the movie "Far and Away" which is about two Irish immigrants who come to America pretty much only with hope and dreams to carry them across the ocean.

As I recalled the movie and thought about the lyrics, I always enjoyed looking back on the past and was amazed at what they went through and still am; their toughness, their spirit, and their hope for the future.


"One day, one night, one moment
My dreams could be tomorrow
One step, one fall, one falter
East or West,
Over earth or by ocean
One way to be my journey
This way could be my
Book of Days

No day, no night, no moment
Can hold me back from trying
One flag, one fall, one falter
I'll find my day maybe
Far and Away"

Just like my ancestors, through thick and thin, they had hope for their future making a book of their days. I also am writing each day a page in my book of days. How will the people of the future look back on the people of their history? Will they see someone who had seen that nothing could "hold me back from trying", someone who kept going despite "one step, one fall, one falter" to "find my day, maybe".

The same frustration that I have on occasion is the same frustration that many had before me. It is one thing that ties us together. And I hope to be as strong through my life as they were through theirs.

So now you may be asking, what does this have to do with being frugal? Where success is usually told to be found in 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, I believe that frugality is instead found in 10% perspiration and 90% inspiration.

So much of the journey of frugal living, at least at the beginning, is about the mental attitude that you can figure out a way to do something no matter the frustrations in your life, and you can make frugality also the "one way to be my journey" in your Book of Days.

0 Comments