While I was away, I gathered a few links that I thought might be bookmark worthy for myself and others. Enjoy!

Non-profit offers free cleaning services to women undergoing treatment for cancer.Cleaningforareason.org has a program available to those fighting cancer who need help cleaning their house while they undergo and recuperate from cancer treatments. If there isn't maid service available in your area or they have fulfilled the number of people for the week... consider gathering some friends together for your own house cleaning party - all you need may already be at the house.

My Grandma was Truly Frugal - Posted by Mrs. Accountability, tells the harrowing journey her grandmother took through adulthood and the frugal lessons passed onto her daughter and eventually her granddaughter.

"It's costs a lot to eat healthy." A common comment heard throughout a week.
Jeff Yeager writes 50 Healthy Foods that Cost Less than $1 - "Frankly, I think that statement is flummadiddle. I'm not denying that some healthy foods—many varieties of fish, for example—are expensive. But my contention is that many of the foods that are the healthiest for us also happen to cost the least, particularly on a per-pound basis." And based on this list, we could always use more fruits and vegetables in our diet and their is some good protein listed as well


I was reading a recent article that asked about tips on bartering with people and I remembered this post by JD that offered a lot of pointers - You Can Negotiate Anything - I found many of the tips helpful for myself and the video at the end was inspiring as well.

Recently I have been putting together an emergency fund over at smartypig.com and has found the site to be very easy to use and the interest that they have for the deposits is better than ING direct and other online saving account locations. Plus I do trust the bank they are with as my grandfather used to bank with them for years - Bank West out of Des Moines, IA.  
I have to say I really liked the SmartyPig Review that Jim put together if you are interested in setting something up for yourself.

3 Comments

  1. Jerry // Friday, January 22, 2010 8:05:00 AM  

    Fantastic links, especially about cleaning for those undergoing cancer treatment. You know insurance isn't going to cover that so it's terrific that there are those out there willing to do this. It may lead to others willing to give a little something of themselves, too.

  2. D. D. Ramsey // Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:58:00 AM  

    Hey Dawn! Herb's book "You Can Negotiate Anything" is a masterpiece. It's one of my faves. And frugality? It's the only way to live. But people need to hear about it more. The word is MIA in all things cool today. Or rather, what we're "told" is cool. From empty music to wonder drugs that don't do anything. It's all very sad, really. My new book (shameless plug), “RECESSION PROOF: SAVING AMERICA, ONE FAMILY AT A TIME" by D. D. Ramsey (available at www.Matterstone.com) talks about exactly that. I’m telling you, I’m out to save America one family at a time, and I’m gonna do it.

  3. Dawn // Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:43:00 AM  

    @Jerry
    There is so much that gets left to another day, when dealing with cancer, that assistance from people in any form (cooking,cleaning)is always nice.

    @D.D
    I haven't read his book yet, but it is on hold. Thanks for other book idea as well.