I was reading through the 10 Diets You Probably Want to Avoid and beyond the odd ones where a danish author was forced to eat his book and an automobile maker ate weed sandwiches… there were a few that got me thinking.

“When Ernest Hemingway was writing his works of literary genius, he certainly wasn’t dining on fillet mignon and caviar. Nope, most of his books were written on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches.”
“British wrestler Sir Athol Oakley maintained his physique by drinking 11 pints of milk every single day for three years. That’s 12,012 pints of milk. When asked how he had arrived at that particular amount, he said it was because a wrestler he admired, Georg Hackenschmidt, gave an interview once in which he had professed to drinking exactly that amount. Hackenschmidt met Oakley and informed him that the 11 pints had been a typo – he actually drank just one pint of milk a day.”
After reading these I thought that it was interesting how far they would go to the extreme or cut back in order to attain the goal that they desired. So many people want a pill or a secret answer to making the debt go away or to become a millionaire, but it takes time, hard word and sacrifices. Some sacrifices that may seem extreme.

Take a pause and reconsider just how out-there someone might be when you hear that they re-use the same tea bag all week, water down their bottles of condiments or pick up pennies.

It is good to see that some people are seeing that the need to sacrifice or even just cut back is starting to sink in for some outside of the original frugal living community. I do realize that some are doing it out of necessity and the minute things look up they will be back to their usual spendy ways, but I am a hopeful person and I don't think the lessons will be far from their mind.

For myself this frugal diet does take on a life of it's own by involuntary means and other times I willingly put myself on a diet to attain a goal. But ultimately, I want that diet to move from a temporary fix to become a way of life that means I am living below my means in a comfortable way.

What are your thoughts on a frugal diet?

********

Speaking of food, recently I had a novel idea. Since I am a big fan of yogurt for snacking on as I eat healthier and drop weight, I figured that since milk, butter and cheese can be frozen without any major troubles, I would freeze my yogurt. I had quite a few coupons and a good sale was going on, so I stocked up on 24 containers of yogurt. I had 8 in the fridge and the other 16 in the freezer.

Last week I broke out the frozen yogurt and found that, like milk, it needs to be shaken. A lot! Even though the flavor tastes the same, the texture has been changed and it isn't quite what I am used to. And God knows my food has to taste the same!

So this weekend I will be figuring out a way to get my yogurt back to the origninal texture so it's more edible to me. I have 12 containers left with a variety of flavors - I'm thinking I'm may to do some re-blending and using new containers. No more frozen, then thawed, yogurt for me.

9 Comments

  1. Adanna // Monday, March 15, 2010 8:01:00 AM  

    Don't thaw the yogurt --- eat it frozen, like ice cream --- it's great that way!

  2. Phiddy // Monday, March 15, 2010 8:45:00 AM  

    Why not make your own yogurt? It's quite a simple process. I can't even imagine eating store bought anymore. Plus, it's so easy to control what you add it to.

  3. The Biz of Life // Monday, March 15, 2010 8:47:00 AM  

    One of my favorite Hemingway quotes: "Hunger Makes Good Discipline." I've found the low-carb diets to work for me, though I get very grumpy when deprived of carbs.

  4. Kerry // Monday, March 15, 2010 9:15:00 AM  

    If you figure out how to make the yogurt normal again, would you share? It'd be really useful for other people, and I'd love to know how it's done.

  5. Dawn // Monday, March 15, 2010 9:40:00 AM  

    @Adanna
    A friend at work just suggested that as well, I will have to give it a try.

    @Phiddy
    I am not very handy in the kitchen- my multitasking skills are worse than a 3 year olds. So I usually go for light prep work or eat raw.

    @TheBizofLife
    Hunger is good if I'm in control of when I stop being hungry. I'm eating more of a mediterranean diet.

    @Kerry
    I will definitely email you if blending it back helps

  6. Em // Monday, March 15, 2010 1:54:00 PM  

    I agree with Kerry, please let us know. I found a whole big container of plain yogurt in my freezer this weekend and am scared to defrost it for exactly those reasons!

  7. Kathleen // Monday, March 15, 2010 7:57:00 PM  

    I find putting it through the blender usually smooths out all the lumps. Also, I second the frozen yogurt idea. So good, and much healthier than ice cream.

  8. PDM // Monday, March 15, 2010 8:33:00 PM  

    There’s an interesting post over at the Health Journal Club that makes the case that people should just not eat anything that wasn’t a food 100 years ago. Gets rid of the aspartame, bleached GM flour, high fructose corn syrup garbage they try to pass off as food these days. If interested you can read on it here,
    http://healthjournalclub.blogspot.com/2010/01/100-year-diet.html

    Such an approach also has the benefit of helping to preserve portions of centuries or millenniums old cultures that are under assault from a crass commercialization of food

  9. Anonymous // Friday, March 19, 2010 8:18:00 AM  

    My thought was that if blending it by itself doesn't work, perhaps try to make smoothies and perhaps it will help to make the texture more palatable? Meanwhile, you'll be getting an extra dose of fruit and whatnot. :-)