Sometimes I learn life lessons from observing my grandparents and parents. Other times I learn the hard way by experience and still, others I will continue to learn about as I grow in understanding of myself and my relationship to the world and people around me.

 flickr/cc - edanley

1. More isn’t better – I learned this from collecting, the desire to accumulate those precious pieces to fill the gaps in my collection brought immediate happiness but not a lasting one. The same would be true of money; getting a raise puts you in a nice spot for a while but eventually it seems that dries up and we are looking for the other raise.

2. Appearances-smearances – I don’t remember what my friend at work wore on Monday, but I do remember the great conversation we had on our lunch break. If I’m comfortable in what I am wearing or driving or living in, my demeanor will be one of truthfulness. Make the best of what I have, fix what I can and the rest be damned, life is too short.

3. Save your life – If you don’t want to live indebted to others (and no one does) then remember to live below your means and save for a rainy day. Freedom lies in chasing after the things in life that don’t depreciate in value.

4. Take your Time – Buying something can generate immense guilt and can’t always be taken back. If you know it isn’t going to be a ‘throw-away’ item like a house, car, etc – get value for your money and time. Taking the time to look means people will take less advantage of you.

5. Ask questions – No one ever got struck by lightening for asking a question. How will you know how to take care of your own home or investments if you don’t ask questions? Asking a question allows you to not only increase your knowledge and financial value but also allows you to give back to others who ask of you the same questions.

6. Rome wasn’t built in a Day – It’s an old saying but it’s a good one. It takes time to build up the savings and investments and to reach towards your goals. Hurdles will pop up and their may be times you feel like you are jumping through more hoops than a circus lion, but in the end you will be the better for it.

7. Sit and Listen – Rushing through the day to get things marked off of the ‘to do’ list and planning for tomorrow can leave me feeling like I still haven’t accomplished anything or all I see are the mistakes or what I haven’t done. Take a moment and sit down to reflect on where you were before, what you have learned and where you want to go, it may have changed course in the last couple of months.

8. Humility – Confidence is great in the work world where it seems like you swim with sharks, but it's your personal life that connects to a financial one where humility will get you a lot farther and allow you to tolerate frustrations better. Besides, keeping up with the neighbors isn't all it's cracked up to be.

4 Comments

  1. April // Friday, July 09, 2010 7:54:00 AM  

    Loved this post. Especially appreciated #7.

  2. Lori // Friday, July 09, 2010 11:06:00 AM  

    ditto, it was very well said.

  3. Donna Freedman // Friday, July 09, 2010 2:39:00 PM  

    I liked them all, but especially No. 5. If you don't understand something or want to know more about something, then ask. I have found that saying "I don't know what that is" usually results in my learning something.
    We're tempted to just fake it or pretend we know something so people won't think we're stupid. I figure that someone who thinks I'm stupid because I don't know everything there is to know....is someone whose opinion really shouldn't bother me.

  4. Antique Toys // Monday, July 12, 2010 2:39:00 PM  

    I like what you said in humility! Thank you very much for this cool article. God bless. :)