I was playing Family Feud one night and this question popped up, "While vacationing, what might a cheapskate buy as souvenirs for her friends?"

So being the type of person that I am, I over analyzed the question and wasted one strike against me for not answering in 20 seconds. I realize, it is JUST A GAME, but still.

For instance, are cheapskates only females? Why not says "what might a cheapskate buy as a souvenir for FRIENDS" and leave it at that? Why am I getting all defensive about the word cheapskate? And my final thought, a cheap skate wouldn't buy a souvenir while on vacation, they either would buy nothing, bring back whatever they got free or buy their souvenirs before or after the vacation since the price of souvenirs are expensive (Hello, Disneyland!)

Finally, I answered and got 2 of the 7 answers (t-shirt and pen) correct, those seemed to be the best value to me and you can't have too many t-shirts or pens. Above are the other 5 answers. But I'm curious - Would you buy souvenirs while on vacation and if so, what would you buy?

**************

Recycle Stuff Links:

Perform a trash-can autopsy to save money and resources  (Jeff Yeager)

30 uses for duct tape - Duct tape. Ubiquitous. Handy and with links  (wikihow)

18 alternative uses for CDs or DVDs  (Walletpop)

Making Money Links:

Is it worth my time to pick up coins? - I say, yes. (On & True)

Make money by selling your bones - Great title and click worthy (The Buck List)

Pandhandle: Strange ways to make money (Personal Finance Advice)

The Debt World Links:

Secrets of the debt-collection biz uncovered by a reporter - Kind of what I expected, but still interesting to read (Walletpop)

You're More Likely To Go Bankrupt From Winning A Lottery Than To Win One - Info-graphic heaven. (Consumerist)

Why do we want everything this instant? The battle against impulse and ... blood sugar? (Smartspending)

Battle the Clutter Links:

Living a Simpler Life - 9 Places to Start (Satifying Retirement)

Hoarding: Too much stuff (part 1) - A personal story behind the mess (Thriftyfun)

4 Comments

  1. Hammy // Friday, September 24, 2010 8:29:00 AM  

    It's a trick question as cheapskates don't buy presents for friends that they don't have. He he.

  2. Anonymous // Friday, September 24, 2010 10:39:00 AM  

    You can mos def have too many t-shirts (especially tacky ones with sayings on them) and too many cheapo pens.

    I do not buy souvenirs for anyone but myself--souvenir == memento--and only I was on the trip. I do buy thank-you presents for those who watched my house, dogs or covered for me in my absence in some way. Those I will tend to seek out in a grocery store--a great place for interesting locally-sourced consumables. Nobody I know wants more stuff and certainly no more tchotchkes!

    Maybe for a kid--leftover foreign coins, a McDonald's tray liner in a foreign language....

  3. I am the working poor. // Friday, September 24, 2010 5:17:00 PM  

    I am at a point in my life where I look at everything seriously and consider it's value in life before I bring home any "clutter." I would not want any of the typical souvenirs for myself so I would not buy them for anyone else. Maybe I would buy a regional food item like Wisconsin cheese, Georgia pecans...etc.

  4. Chris the Yardsale Queen // Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:29:00 AM  

    while on vacation, the only souvenir I bought (besides stuff for my immediate family) was a gift that I can give for Christmas. So it's like the gift is a two-fer - souvenir of my trip AND a Christmas gift.