Major gift giving season is 73 days away and I hate fighting crowds for gifts. I also miss some of the "Black Friday" specials, but this year I'm going to try homemade gifts. You have been warned family!

I have a couple of gift ideas based on what I could find and think of. Obviously it isn't all the ideas out there and I'm sure you have some great ideas of your own. Let's hear them!

Frame Tray by AFC
  1. Cookie Mix in a Jar (recipes) and Brownie Mixes (recipes)
  2. Framed Classic Photo, blown up in size
  3. Framed Artwork of your own making. Poem, Picture, Collage
  4. A Secret Hollow Book
  5. Small Scrapbook with photos and moments from their life
  6. Small Jars of Spices, grown yourself (About)
  7. Bottle of Vanilla Extract (TSD)
  8. Burned CD of Songs
  9. Burned DVD of Videos 
  10. Hand Written Letter of Gratitude, with all the reasons you appreciate them
  11. Cut Plant from your own home
  12. Necktie Pouch for cell phone, money, business cards (About)
  13. Personalized T-shirt, Shorts, Bib or Apron. Handprints, written love notes, iron-on pictures
  14. Stapled Coupon Book of Services Provided. Dinner, babysitting, mowing and hugs
  15. Knit or Crochet 
  16. Homemade Jams, Jellies, Grape Juice and Breads, Candy
  17. Fragrant Soy Candles (guide)
  18. Homemade Beer (TSD)
  19. Make Soap at Home (TSD)
  20. Record Album Bowl (Wikihow)
  21. Bottle Cap Magnets
  22. Personalized Ornament (e-How) using light-bulbs (TWSm) or paper (Not Martha)
  23. Snow "Globe" Jar (AFC)
  24. Holiday Wreath made with plastic bags, fabric and pine clippings
  25. Chocolate Covered Spoons for coffee or hot cocoa (AFC)
  26. Personalized Garden Stepping Stones. DIY stones or buy at the hardware store
  27. Double-sided "no-sew" Fleece Blanket. Favorite colors or sports team (instruction vid)
  28. For Kids: Melt Crayons to make "rainbow" crayons as gifts
  29. Personalized Calendars for the upcoming year, printable calendar blanks, write in special occasions and personalize with pictures
  30. Wood Shoe Rack (Not Martha)

3 Comments

  1. Anonymous // Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:50:00 PM  

    You know, I think you have some very good ideas. However, our family just quit doing the gift thing about 6 years ago. We only do for the "littles." It took a lot of pressure off of everyone. Best to you.

  2. HollisC // Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:06:00 PM  

    Dawn,
    Last year for most of my adult friends and family I decided on a charity that appealed to each of them and made a donation in their name. It was announced by a card that I gave them (wrapped) which included a homemade poem by me. (I tried my best.) They all seemed to be delighted so I think I'll do it again this year.

  3. Lisa // Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:41:00 PM  

    I have a teen and a 20 year old, and I think I know exactly what to get them this Holiday season. They are always complaining about their seemingly archaic phones. I don't have the money to get them iPhones and pay for the bill each month, so I am going to get them Tracfones. They offer a variety of snazzy phones, and I can control my cell phone bill by switching to prepaid. That way, there are no stressful hidden fees, and my kids can finally get phones that they want. Like the Samsung T301G. It's a stylish slider for only $50, and they have a deal where you can get double minutes for life when you purchase it. Can't wait to see the look on my kids faces! And my face won't have a terror-stricken look when I pay my phone bill each month.